The avocado is a rather unique fruit.
While most fruit consists primarily of carbohydrate, avocado is high in healthy fats.
Numerous studies show that it has powerful health benefits.
Here are 12 health benefits of avocado that are supported by scientific research.
1. Avocado Is Incredibly Nutritious
Avocado is a green, pear-shaped fruit often called an “alligator pear.” It is loaded with healthy fats, fiber and various important nutrients.
2. They Contain More Potassium Than Bananas
Potassium is an important mineral that most people don’t get enough of. Avocados are very high in potassium, which should support healthy blood pressure levels.
3. Avocado Is Loaded With Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Fatty Acids
Avocados and avocado oil are high in monounsaturated oleic acid, a heart-healthy fatty acid that is believed to be one of the main reasons for the health benefits of olive oil.
4. Avocados Are Loaded With Fiber
Avocados tend to be rich in fiber — about 7% by weight, which is very high compared to most other foods. Fiber may have important benefits for weight loss and metabolic health.
5. Eating Avocados Can Lower Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels
Numerous studies have shown that eating avocado can improve heart disease risk factors like total, “bad” LDL and “good” HDL cholesterol, as well as blood triglycerides.
6. People Who Eat Avocados Tend to Be Healthier
One dietary survey found that people who ate avocados had a much higher nutrient intake and a lower risk of metabolic syndrome.
7. Their Fat Content May Help You Absorb Nutrients From Plant Foods
Studies have shown that eating avocado or avocado oil with vegetables can dramatically increase the number of antioxidants you take in.
8. Avocados Are Loaded With Powerful Antioxidants That Can Protect Your Eyes
Avocados are high in antioxidants, including lutein and zeaxanthin. These nutrients are very important for eye health and lower your risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
9. Avocado May Help Prevent Cancer
Some test-tube studies have shown that nutrients in avocados may have benefits in preventing prostate cancer and lowering side effects of chemotherapy. However, human-based research is lacking.
10. Avocado Extract May Help Relieve Symptoms of Arthritis
Studies have shown that avocado and soybean oil extracts can significantly reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis.
11. Eating Avocado May Help You Lose Weight
Avocados may aid weight loss by keeping you full longer and making you eat fewer calories. They’re also high in fiber and low in carbs, which may promote weight loss.
12. Avocado Is Delicious and Easy to Incorporate in Your Diet
Avocados have a creamy, rich, fatty texture and blend well with other ingredients. Therefore, it’s easy to add this fruit to your diet. Using lemon juice may prevent cut avocados from browning quickly.