Apples are one of the most popular fruits — and for good reason.
They’re an exceptionally healthy fruit with many research-backed benefits.
Here are 10 impressive health benefits of apples.
1. Apples Are Nutritious
Apples are a good source of fiber and vitamin C. They also contain polyphenols, which may have numerous health benefits.
2. Apples May Be Good for Weight Loss
Apples may aid weight loss in several ways. They’re also particularly filling due to their high fiber content.
3. Apples May Be Good for Your Heart
Apples promote heart health in several ways. They’re high in soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol. They also have polyphenols, which are linked to lower blood pressure and stroke risk.
4. They’re Linked to a Lower Risk of Diabetes
Eating apples is linked to a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. This is possibly due to their polyphenol antioxidant content.
5. They May Have Prebiotic Effects and Promote Good Gut Bacteria
The type of fiber in apples feeds good bacteria and may be the reason they protect against obesity, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.
6. Substances in Apples May Help Prevent Cancer
Apples have several naturally occurring compounds that may help fight cancer. Observational studies have linked them to a lower risk of cancer and death from cancer.
7. Apples Contain Compounds That Can Help Fight Asthma
Apples contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds that may help regulate immune responses and protect against asthma.
8. Apples May Be Good for Bone Health
The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds in apples may promote bone health. What’s more, eating fruit may help preserve bone mass as you age.
9. Apples May Protect Against Stomach Injury From NSAIDs
Apples contain compounds that may help protect your stomach lining from injury due to NSAID painkillers.
10. Apples May Help Protect Your Brain
According to animal studies, apple juice may help prevent the decline of neurotransmitters that are involved in memory.