1. Garlic Contains Compounds with Potent Medicinal Properties
Garlic is a plant in the onion family that’s grown for its distinctive taste and health benefits. It contains sulfur compounds, which are believed to bring some of the health benefits.
2. Garlic Is Highly Nutritious but Has Very Few Calories
Garlic is low in calories and rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. It also contains trace amounts of various other nutrients.
3. Garlic Can Combat Sickness, Including the Common Cold
Garlic supplements help prevent and reduce the severity of common illnesses like the flu and common cold.
4. The Active Compounds in Garlic Can Reduce Blood Pressure
High doses of garlic appear to improve blood pressure for those with known high blood pressure (hypertension). In some instances, supplements may be as effective as regular medications.
5. Garlic Improves Cholesterol Levels, Which May Lower the Risk of Heart Disease
Garlic supplements seem to reduce total and LDL cholesterol, particularly in those who have high cholesterol. HDL cholesterol and triglycerides do not seem to be affected.
6. Garlic Contains Antioxidants That May Help Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
Garlic contains antioxidants that protect against cell damage and aging. It may reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
7. Garlic May Help You Live Longer
Garlic has known beneficial effects on common causes of chronic disease, so it makes sense that it could also help you live longer.
8. Athletic Performance Might Be Improved with Garlic Supplements
Garlic may improve physical performance in lab animals and people with heart disease. Benefits in healthy people are not yet conclusive.
9. Eating Garlic May Help Detoxify Heavy Metals in the Body
Garlic was shown to significantly reduce lead toxicity and related symptoms in one study.
10. Garlic May Improve Bone Health
Garlic appears to have some benefits for bone health by increasing estrogen levels in females, but more human studies are needed.
11. Garlic Is Easy to Include in Your Diet and Tastes Absolutely Delicious
Garlic is delicious and easy to add to your diet. You can use it in savory dishes, soups, sauces, dressings and more.