Al Jazeera International catering considered the waste avoidance, waste reuse, waste recycling energy recovery and waste disposal by practicing the following: –
- Raw material supply specification was changed to bulk packaging’s to avoid waste generation.
- Purchasing specifications were changed for the vegetables and started procuring pre-processed and pre-cleaned vegetables.
- Suppliers were instructed to debox and remove the packaging prior supply to site and thus we were able to avoid waste.
- Menu was redesigned, reducing vegetables and meat items which generates more wastage and was replaced with alternate dishes.
- Fry items were reduced from the menu to reduce generation of used oil from the kitchen.
- Polarity meter was used to check the quality of the oil prior disposing, this enabled us to monitor disposable of oil waste in an effective way and helped us in reducing generation of oil waste.
JIC used various ways such as color-coded bins, awareness session for stakeholders and customers and training for staffs for managing wastes and storage of wastes which prevented on-site and off-site pollution and enhanced opportunities for reuse.
Waste is sent for disposal to landfill only once other options have been exhausted. Waste streams are being assessed for potential reuse, prior to transport to the approved disposal facility.
The following are examples of how materials, identified wastes will be reused or recycled where possible:
- Where possible, recyclable materials will be purchased for use.
Waste, where practicable and considering health and hygiene issues, is been segregated and collected on-site and stored in suitable containers for removal. It is committed that a portion of all waste materials generating from all activates of Al Jazeera International catering will be recycled.
Adequate separation of components of the waste stream at the point of generation was practiced, for example, Metal, Plastic, Paper / Cardboard were segregated from general waste. Maintaining segregation of different types of waste during generation, storage or transportation made recovery achievable.
Solid waste streams are separated into various components at the point of their production. Waste separation at the source is achieved by providing bins for reusable or recyclable materials. A centralized location is being allocated within the site for collection of large quantities of waste to enable segregation of wastes for recycling.