Cooking is the most essential practice in kitchen. More than half of the accidental fires in the kitchen are started by cooking. It is easy to get distracted while cooking and leave things unattended.
Follow these simple tips to ensure cooking safety :
- Do not leave cooking food unattended. Stay near the stove until the cooking is completed, if you have to leave the kitchen, even for a second, turn off the stove.
- Check the food time to time while cooking and remain in the kitchen or near the kitchen until the cooking is complete.
- Don’t wear loose clothing while cooking.
- Keep the things like the oven or any other appliance and accessories in the kitchen away from your stove, that generates heat or can catch fire.
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
- Always keep an updated fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Before leaving kitchen always check to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.
- Install an excess smoke/heat alarm in kitchen and conduct a trial to check it each month and replace at least once a year.
- Plug microwave ovens or other cooking appliances directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance as it can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
- Check electrical cords for cracks, breaks, or damage.