The most conventional method of cash withdrawals or cash/cheque deposits is through bank and it happens only during the designated banking hours. One has to be physically present to do the transactions. For few of them it is annoying to go to the bank and stand in long queues to perform these transactions.
Other convenient way to withdraw or deposit money/cheque at any convenient time is through ATM – Automated Teller Machine. Cheque deposit or Cash withdrawal at any time is quick and convenient through these AT Machines. Since the inception of this brilliant idea in the late 60’s, until now the ATM usage has increased and people prefer it compared to the visit to the bank to complete their transactions.
Of late, one can see that these ATMs are used extensively by most of the individuals from all walks of life. As every invention has pros and cons, the best thing is convenient cash withdrawal at any given point in time, usage of ATM machine also has some cons while using it. Although the machine is handy to withdraw money by the rightful owner at his convenient time and the ATM card is PIN protected, it is also subject to being cautious while withdrawing or while carrying the money. There are many sophisticated ways like skimming devise, fake PIN Pads, Phishing etc., to cheat you of your money. One should be vigilant enough to look at the surrounding while carrying the money.
Here are some basic steps which help you to be aware of the situations that might arise while using the ATMs or while carrying the money in large numbers.
- Always pay close attention to the ATM and your surroundings. Don’t select an ATM at the corner of a building – corners create a blind spot.
- Maintain an awareness of your surroundings throughout the entire transaction. Be wary of people trying to help you with ATM transactions.
- Do not allow people to look over your shoulder as you enter your PIN. Memorize your PIN; never write it on the back of your card. Do not re-enter your PIN if the ATM eats your card — contact a bank official.
- Closely monitor your bank statements, as well as your balances, and immediately report any discrepancies to your bank.
- If you are involved in a confrontation with an assailant who demands your money, COMPLY.
- If you find any signs of the ATM being physically tampered with or attached with external fittings or loose wirings, report to the bank and use another ATM.
- Make sure that anyone waiting to use the ATM after you cannot see the PIN or the transaction amount you are entering.
- Cancel your transaction and leave immediately if you see anything suspicious.